Thursday, November 20, 2014

Wednesday's One O'clock Dance

Out of the corner of my eye, a beautiful face removed her shoes for white laced dancing ones.
   I had given Marty my three dollar donation and walked towards the nosh table. Another dry day made my lips parched and a cup of apple juice satisfied my thirst. My thirst gazed at the beautiful face on the south corner of the room. It was going on ten after one o'clock.  I
   DJ Marty played a polka and I went to the face. Well, she like me, no longer had the body of a forty year old. But them eyes. Wow! This one looked right at me and threw her body into mine. She was born to dance. 
   'You'll need to show me how?" 
   "Don't you worry, Uncle George has all of the moves and then-some."
   We danced a Tango and her bumpers hit mine in just the right places. I also danced with English Jane a few numbers. Like always Jane told me she "loved me". I returned to the nosh table and grabbed a few sweats. Something about the face told me to ask her again, since nobody else did 
    I asked the face her name. "My name is Jessie."
    "You speak perfect English. How did that come about?"
    "I come from just outside the Bakersfield area. Dad was a laborer and my parents had four kids." 
    "I notice you wear a ring. Are you married?" 
     "I was married for twenty two years, and long enough to have three girls and one boy. I have four grandchildren. My parents made us learn English. In fact the school I attended forced us to speak English. None of my kids speak Spanish, probably because I married an English man."
     "When did you get married?"
     "I married at eighteen years old and tried to keep my pregnancy a secret. They knew after all and it was all right since we got married."
    "I am going to a dance tonight. The Moonlight Sonata Band will be playing in Poway."
     "It is a bit too far for me but make sure you go to the Town and Country in San Diego during Thanksgiving. Over one hundred bands will play Dixieland music. I left early at two thirty 
    
 The one o'clock dance has become a habit with me. Wednesday's dance club his hosted by Marty and Shirley. It is off of Encinitas Blvd.in back of the Napa Auto Parts fixture in the front. Over forty seniors hear the sound of the fifties and sixties inside this dancing ballroom. Nearly anyone is out-of-shape or on the heavy side of thin. Most attend two dances a week. 
  This Sunday afternoon a fourteen piece band will play at the Lafayette Hotel in San Diego. I begins in the early afternoon. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment