Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Town and County

I had a lot on my mind. Soon I would be leaving my cell at the 'Y' for a more forma dale one with my second daughter in Los Angeles. Mel was out of the hospital. his blood sugar caused his coma. The Titanic story had kicked me up a notch so I needed to vent my energy...Besides, I had a miserable date with one from Juarez,  Mexico. She just couldn't stop talking. Can you imagine spending fifty dollars for dinner? 

I wanted to take more two step lessons at Balboa Park's Bay Ballroom. I found it closed so I returned to Park Blvd and returned to the 163 Freeway. At the 8 Freeway I got off on Hotel Circle and promptly became lost...and that God.
   I found a free parking place at the Fashion Mall, just west of Penny's. From there I walked across a bridge to the hotel. I became lost but soon found the Trellises. The hotel restaurant has a duo playing there each Friday and Saturday, unless the venue is sold to a private party.
   "We begin promptly at eight o'clock and play until eleven." It was only seven twenty, so I had forty minutes to burn. I walked to the lobby and requested information about their November Jazz Festival when over one hundred jazz bands take over the grounds. I wanted to volunteer and maybe fill-in for a piano player.
    "Let me get you a card sir, and you can get the information. Also, the rooms rent for $150 today but next month come way down. Our season is over." The phone number of the Town and Country is (619) 291-7131, and for reservations it is (800) 772-8527. 
   I sat in the lobby for a few minutes and watched a clerk try to understand one who spoke in pig's English Most of these people came from all walks of life, but without knowledge of how to act or dress. At eight o'clock I went to the musical menu.
   The blond singer of three years ago was gone. Two piano players substituted or tried to. They played great piano music but there is no substitute for a blond singer. Without a singer the songs lacked soul even if in tune and roundly received.
   I paid my five for the small coke, well it was more ice than coke. The few gals who came in were nothing to stare at, but I wouldn't mind bringing a mushy date with me next time. I would gladly sing to her to make up for the lack of songster.
   i returned to my car and found Taylor Street that returned me back at the Old Town Commuter station. From there I took the Green back to my hotel.


 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment