Monday, January 26, 2015

Swing Dancing Tonight

I moved to the Motel Six off of Taylor and the Eight Freeway. Never do I like to do the same thing each day - it simply bores me to death. When my feet get antsy, I's get daft if I could not go dancing. 

 The 1920's come alive on top of the ninth floor of  San Diego's new library. The Library  introduced swing lessons a few weeks back. at six o'clock the swing lessons begins and free dancing goes on afterwards. A large dome hangs over the ninth floor with an evening panorama view of the city lights. 
    Once a month live music is also played at on the roof-tops of the New Library.  On cold evenings the event goes inside. Any Red or Orange Line trolley gets you to the library off of Park Blvd....The 901 or #11 bus also drops you off....From North County, the Coaster or Amtrak get you to the downtown area-where a block away waits the trolley. 
San Diego became my home about four years ago. I fell in love with Balboa Park and all of its old buildings commemorating the birth of the Panama Canal. The Rose Garden became my place to picnic and enjoy the roses at the Park. San Diego celebrates the one hundred year anniversary of Balboa Park. 
    On Fridays and Sundays in the early evening, we learn two different dances for that month. Next month the Tango will be taught again. You might need to speak Chinese, since they have homesteaded the Bay Balboa  Club. You just have to see how well they are dressed. Members pay three dollars for a night of fantastic lessons. Even when my lungs say-'no' due to Asthma, I listen and watch and someway, I peddle the routines into my act. 
    During mid-week, I go to the nuts-and-bolts ballroom to dance to the sounds of the fifties and sixties. When I stay at the Motel Six in Carlsbad, I change gears on Wednesdays at one o'clock. The music begins at one and ends at three. 
   The Nuts-and-Bolts ballroom is directly in back of the Napa Auto Parts store on Encinitas off of Encinitas Blvd. Jeff and Shirley charge three dollars to hear the D.J. music but it is worth it. A table of tidbits is also there for the hungry. Make sure to bring your Mothers tote bag so you can bag-home some of these tasty treats...On the third Friday of the month the Encinitas Senior Center offers live music. It is only five dollars to attend, but there is live music. 
   The Moonlight Serenade Orchestra has refitted their instruments and imitate Benny Goodman, Harry James and a host of other famous orchestras.  Currently their ensemble plays on the second Friday of the month at the Dance Essence in Carlsbad. It is a block from Palomar Road and El Camino Real. The ten dollar include dance lessons and lots of nostalgia when the Balboa, Hustle and Jitterbug were just the thing.  
    Got to go now. Need to sleep before my 75 year old body renews ties with thirties. Roof at the Top dancing renews my ties with the past. I can even see my Mom Edith and Harry doing it.  

1 comment:

  1. The downtown library has a breath-taking view of South-West San Diego.

    ReplyDelete